Sunday, June 2, 2013

"Miracle Grow"

Matthew 18: 21-35

Last night I saw a name of someone who had wronged me. I was doing me social media thing and the website (in all its infinite wisdom) suggested that we should be friends and connect. My immediate thought was "Bump that noise, playa!" and within an instant feelings of anger just sprouted up. It was like someone had placed the "Miracle Grow" for hate in my heart. I had to spend the next several minutes redirecting my thoughts of rage to love. It was crazy, I eventually moved on and was able to regain my focus and get some sleep.

Today while I was driving home from work I begin to ponder about forgiveness. I mean I know how to love and forgive, but I am so quick to remember an offense. While I was thinking about this God put a challenge on my heart. It was like He asked me "Right now if you forgave everyone one for ever offense they committed against you and offered them forgiveness for ever wrong they will commit against you, how would they look in your eyes. Would they look the same to you, would you see them with hate in your heart or a heart full of love?"

I had to think about that, when I thought about the person in terms of forgiveness for past, present, and future wrongs. All I could see was a person clean of sin. I did not see them as a liar, devil, or a hypocrite. All I could see was the person and not the sin. But when I gave away my hate I took away my right to treat them mean out of anger. I took away my right think evil thoughts about them. I took away my bitterness. I took away my right to call them a hypocrite. I took away my right to tell them "Go take an eternal dip in the Lake of Fire!" I took it all away...

But what about me, what about my feelings, what about my hurt, what about my pain? Who will vindicate me, who will speak up for me, who...someone tell me who!? Because if I give up my right to hate I look like a Joker ...I look a Jello Spine...I look like a Jester...I look like the spelling error "Jesun" instead of "Jason"...I look like Jesus...wait what!

By forgiving all past offenses, amending all of current wrongs against me, and any future hurt that may come I began to act like Jesus. I look like I am willing sacrificing myself and my right to do ill, think ill, and even hope ill towards someone. I am modeling Christ. I am wiping the slate clean and refusing to add to it. I am denying myself and gladly following Jesus now (Matthew 16:24). I am forgiving others over and over no matter what (Matthew 18:21-22). I am crucifying myself and saying "Lord forgive them, they don't get it (Luke 22:34)". Now I know God because I walk in love ( 1 John 4:8). Now I know I abide in God and God is in me because I walking in love and compassion (1 John 4:16). Now I am not a liar because I have learned to love (1 John 4:20-21). I get it now.

The price for me to do this is deep but the payoff is much greater (Romans 8:18, Matthew 18:21-35). Because in the end I do lose out on claiming what is rightfully mine (to hate) but I gain the privilege to give someone something far better (forgiveness). Stay focused, you can do this!

"In His JOY!"

No comments:

Post a Comment