Sunday, May 19, 2013

"Save the child, they will thank you later"


Exodus 2: 1-10

Now a man of the house of Levi married a Levite woman, and she became pregnant and gave birth to a son. When she saw that he was a fine child, she hid him for three months. But when she could hide him no longer, she got a papyrus basket for him and coated it with tar and pitch. Then she placed the child in it and put it among the reeds along the bank of the Nile. His sister stood at a distance to see what would happen to him. Then Pharaoh's daughter went down to the Nile to bathe, and her attendants were walking along the river bank. She saw the basket among the reeds and sent her slave girl to get it. She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. "This is one of the Hebrew babies," she said. Then his sister asked Pharaoh's daughter, "Shall I go and get one of the Hebrew women to nurse the baby for you?" "Yes, go," she answered. And the girl went and got the baby's mother. Pharaoh's daughter said to her, "Take this baby and nurse him for me, and I will pay you." So the woman took the baby and nursed him. When the child grew older, she took him to Pharaoh's daughter and he became her son. She named him Moses, saying, "I drew him out of the water."


Life is all about decisions and choices that we must make. Every action that we take directly impacts not only our lives but the lives of those around us all. Abortion is a choice that some people will make today but regret later. And make no mistake that the decision to end a pregnancy is a tough one. My definition of abortion is to stop a potential life. I define abortion in this way because I am aware of the debate about which stage of pregnancy life begins. So for the sake of time and unneeded debate I always define abortion with the definition before stated.

Although you may have stopped a potential life yours still must go on. I have set and talked with people who went through the process of an abortion and their stories broke my heart. I expected to hear them tell me, "Well, I want my life" or "It's my body and I can do what I want" but that is not the case. What these Christians told me was their decision to go through with the procedure was more so fueled by the pressure from others. A pastor who fears embarrassment by his affair with his secretary pays her to have the procedure secretly done, a mother who is high esteemed is the church sends her daughter to the clinic (but will not go with her) because of her reputation as a God-fearing woman, or the prominent family who does not want to look as if the lost control of their child, will have it discreetly done.

These situations do not parallel to everyone who has had or is considering an abortion. But there are some expectant mothers who are sitting in the pews of our churches right who are facing dilemmas just like these. The fear and feeling the pressure to get an abortion for the sake of a reputation, someone's validation, or just to keep up a level of respect in  the church. This is little blip right here is for those who are in a predicament like those mentioned and feel "stuck in the muck of it all". I want you to know that  the child you are having is not a mistake or an accident. From what I read in God's Word,  He doesn't make accidents or mistakes with anyone (Psalm 139:13). Your child may have come into existence because of fornication but they put together in the womb by a loving God who wants nothing more but to cover them with His love, mercy, and grace. Secondly I want you know that God loves you and nothing can change that (Romans 8:35-39). And lastly you are not alone and He is always here with you (Hebrews 13:5).

I know some people are telling you things like "Think about yourself, you can't take care of this baby! You are a baby yourself!" I know they are offering to pay for it and asking you to act like this never happened. But trust me if you make the righteous decision to take this baby to full term and let it experience life on this Earth in the abundant manner in which God intended, God will honor you and your decision. He will not forsake you or your child. It may mean tougher times ahead but I promise you the present sufferings of your situation will be far outweighed by the future glory of seeing your wonderful child go on to do great things.

Think about Moses for a second. His mother knew that all newborn babies would not survive being thrown into the river.   But in the face of unrighteousness she choose to fight and save her child. God provided for Moses who was later "adopted" and  set God's people free. So I am asking you to choose to fight for that wonderful possibility of life in your womb. I am asking you to press on because you can do this (Philippians 4:13). I am asking you to consider adoption if you feel you cannot raise the child yourself or you feel you do not have the support, if you need more info on  this than inbox and I will send you some.

But I am a realist and I understand that we have Christians who had abortions on Saturday and went to church on Sunday. We have Christians who succumbed to the pressure and now are trying to move on with their life.  First understand that God loves you and has already forgiven you so don't allow others to condemn you or place guilt upon  you (Romans 8:1 ).  Secondly, find a GOOD and GODLY CHRISTIAN support group and get some help! Don't try to walk this path alone. The Word of God tells us shoulder the burden of our mistakes together (Galatians 6:1 - 2). You may have not made the best decisions but today make the right decision and talk with someone who and can help you.

Life is precious to God, more so than we can ever know. Abortion is a "hot button issue" and some of you may not agree with me or even think I understand this situation at all. And I am okay with that, however it  will always be my prayer that if you are considering abortion you would choose life and not death.  Stay focused you can do this!

"In His JOY!"

No comments:

Post a Comment