Sunday, May 5, 2013

"If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it must be a cow...wait what!"


Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12: 9-21

Growing up I was such a deep, philosophical, and (sometimes) strange person. I made knowing God so complicated for people. I was bound by rules, laws, and everything in between. My version of Christianity was so complex and complicated I would compare it to a maze the had no real way out. It took wise counsel from my parents, siblings, friends, mentors, and some maturing on my part for me to change.

I say all that to say this. Christianity is simple, it is we who make it hard and difficult. Romans 12: 9 - 21 to breaks down what being a Christian looks like. Christians are authentic, transparent, and sympathetic people. Look at the words used in this chapter; “Devoted, Not Proud, Hospitality, Spiritual Fervor, Love, and Honor” These are not hard characteristics to obtain but they will require effort, time, and maturity to develop. As I read these verses I ask myself, is this me? Can I every obtain this kind of character and reputation. I mean, I make mistakes all the time and I am not perfect?

What is the answer to that complex question, it is very simply we rely on the Grace of God (Romans 5:20, 2 Corinthians 12:9))! My sin can never out way God’s Grace (Praise Him)! Because we all will sin at some point and appear to make a mockery of Christ in front of others, but despite this we press on. We make every effort to read God's Word, follow His Spirit, and accept correction.

For example I remember when I was in the Army and one day I choose to give into sin as opposed to submit to Jesus. I could have easily just made excuses and said “Well not every body is perfect” instead I took accountability for my behavior in front of the person in which I set the bad example, apologized to them, and pressed forward (Philippians 3:12-14). This walk is simple and should not be made hard by anyone. Right now you may not look like the Christian described in Romans 12: 9 - 21 but trust this, if you submit to the Lord and His Way will get you there (Galatians 5:16). I hope this was a help to you and your walk. Stay focused you can do this!

“In His JOY!"

No comments:

Post a Comment