Saturday, February 23, 2013

"Welcome to the perfect church...well sort of"

Revelation 2:1-7

The Church of Ephesus sounds like the perfect Church, when you read Revelation 2. They practiced good deeds, hard work, and preserved through some rocky times (Revelation 2:2). They found no pleasure in wickedness and tested those who claimed that they were apostles (Revelation 2:2). Even when they faced persecution because of their belief in Jesus they meet the challenge head on without wavering in their faith (Revelation 2:3). They even hated heresy and spoke out against it (Revelation 2:6) However the Lord had one charge against them, they were lacking in love (Revelation 2:4). They possessed all the attributes of a good and Godly Church but they were lacking in love, they failed to love those who seemed or were un-lovable. And God called them to repent of this and learn to love again (Revelation 2:5). If they did not turn and repent God promised to remove the Church of Ephesus (Revelation 2:5). But God calls out to the people in the Church of Ephesus and tells them to take heed to what He is saying. And not only take heed but actually do what God is telling them (Revelation 2:7)

When I hear are see people teach heresy and lead others astray all in the name of God it bothers me. I get upset when I see Pastors, Evangelist, Bishops, Deacons, Prophets, Christians, etc. twist the Word of God and confuse others. It rises up within me a righteous anger. But I am careful that my righteous anger does not turn into bitterness and hate. I cannot lose my love for them no matter what they do. God makes it very clear in Revelation 2:1-7 that we are to continually love those who teach false doctrines and lead others astray. The teachings of the Nicolaitans was heresy. It displeased God and brought no honor to his name. But God reprimanded the Church of Ephesus for not loving them. The Church's doctrine was sound and deeds were good but they lacked love. 

So I continually ask myself am I loving those whose teachings are false, who I know are hypocrites, who I see leading others astray? God makes it very clear in His Word that we are to love everyone rather they are friend or foe, God tells us to love them (Matthew 5:44, 1 John 4:7). And God also makes it very clear in His Word that if we do not love them, then we do not know God and are not considered a child of God (1 John 4:8, 20-21). So I have learned that I must love those who teach incorrect theology and do not rightly instruct the Word of God. I am not found of their choices and angered by their sin but I will love them and show them love. I will not speak ill of them or make it my mission to ridicule them publicly as if to make a spectacle of them. Because love covers any amount of sin (Proverbs 10:12). I urge you to search your heart and repent of any hatred you have towards someone you know is leading others astray. Remember it is okay that you disagree with their teaching and angered by their sin. But is not okay to hate them, God tells us to love just as He loves...and that love is unconditionally. 

Stay focused you can do this!

In His JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment