Saturday, February 23, 2013

"I would like some revenge and make it cold"


Proverbs 20:22, Isaiah 40:31

"Revenge is a dish best served cold", it's a saying that many of us live by.  Because when we become subject to unmerited pain we want to see justice for our grief, we want to see someone fall and come to their ruin, we want the peace back that they took from us.  But is it ever enough?  Are really truly satisfied when we take vengeance on someone-else and see them come to ruin?  The true answer is no!  We will never be filled with satisfaction from the demise of an individual.  Yes the pain may have ended and justice given but our feeling of wholeness will never be met and our need for vengeance will continue.

The Bible tells us not to repay evil but instead wait for the Lord and allow Him to deliver us (Proverbs 20:22).  This not a promise of justice and it is not a promise that we will see the one who wronged us humiliated but it is a promise of deliverance.  It is a promise that whatever situation I am in God will rescue me.

What ever has happened I know that He will redeem me and set me free once again.  But God tells me to wait on Him.  The promise of waiting is knowing that in Him my strength will return and I live to fight another day (Isaiah 40:31).  Because the fight of it all does take its toll on us and the Lord knows it (Isaiah 40:30).   But if we choose not to wait and seek after revenge we can look forward to falling into the trap we set (Proverbs 26:27).  So I choose to wait.

What about you?  Are you seeking vengeance or mercy?  Love or hate?  Bondage or deliverance?  Death or life?  The devil or Jesus?  If your choice is to get revenge you will never be free, but if it is to wait for the Lord you will enjoy freedom. (But this only works for those who believe and confess Jesus as their Lord and Savior, to you it is foolish jargon.  But trust me it is truth.  You have to willing take the chance and find out for yourself.) Stay focused you can do this!

In His JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment