Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"Try not to act like Ham...and I don't mean the meat!"

Genesis 9:18-28

Ham, Noah's son, discovered Noah laying naked in his tent (Genesis 9:21) Apparently Noah had too much wine and became drunk (Genesis 9:20-21) but never the less Ham saw Noah in his tent bare. Ham decided to go and tell his brothers of their fathers shame (Genesis 9:22). When Shem and Japheth heard what Ham had told them they took it upon themselves to cover their father's naked body with a robe (9-22-23). When Noah sobered up he discovered what Ham and done and He cursed him (Genesis 9:24). Wow! Sounds like something you hear about on
about on a talk show. But it does make me think. When I catch someone I love, my family especially, in sin what do I do? Do I go and tell the rest of the family in the hopes to embarrass them or do I try to take care of them?

Ham could have easily helped his father, instead he choose to tell others of his father's poor decision and humiliate him. Shem and Japheth choose to tend to their father but this does not mean that they were condoning Noah's Sin. I think of my "crazy" family (brothers, sisters, in-laws, wife, kids, cousin,etc.) and how many times I choose to humiliate them for their sins and not help them. Not very Christian of me is it? No and for that matter when we catch anyone in sin we should not look to make a mockery of them, no, instead we should follow the example of Shem and Japheth and help restore them. And just like Shem and Japheth we are careful that we do succumb to the same sin. Galatians 6:1 makes it very clear this is what the Lord will have us to do (Galatians 6:1, you should read it). I am not saying a curse will come upon us like it did Ham but I am saying it is clear when we expose the sin of someone else for the purposes of humiliation, gossip, or whatever it does bring honor to God. Instead it brings shame on ourselves.

Let's all take a self inventory and see if we are helping those in sin or are just mocking them as a public spectacle. Stay focused, you can do this!

In His JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment