Sunday, April 7, 2013

"I don't like me when I'm angry"

Genesis 4:1-10, Proverbs 29:22

In Genesis 4 we read about Cain and his brother Abel. They are sons of Adam and Eve, Cain was the oldest and Abel was the youngest. One day they presented an offering to the Lord to present to Him. Cain presented crops of fruit while Able presented the first-born lamb of his flock along with all the fat portions. God accepted Abel's but rejected Cain's (Genesis 4:5). After having his offering rejected Cain became angry, we do not know if he was angry at God are with his brother Abel (Genesis 4:4). But we do know He was angry over the results of the offering. The Lord spoke with Cain and said, "If you do what is right I will accept the you bring but your intent to sin is clear, you must not give in to the urge to sin (paraphrased Genesis 4:5-7). But Cain allowed himself to fester in his anger which fueled him to kill his younger brother (Genesis 4:8).

I cannot shout to the world "I AM A CHRISTIAN" and be known as an anger man full of rage. Being Christ like means that I am slow to anger (James 4:19) because God is slow to anger (Nahum 1:3). If I am a quick-tempered person like Cain how can I expect to show the righteousness of God to others? Because God's Word tell us that our anger does not produce the righteousness of God (James 4:20). Instead when we sit in our anger it only provokes us to indulge in sin, look at Cain as an example his sin lead him to murder. I am not seeing your angry will lead you to murder but I am saying that anger unchecked will lead down a wicked path (Proverbs 29:22).

This does not mean we will not or cannot get anger, the Bible tells us not to sin in our anger but calm down (Psalm 4:4:). In other words stay leveled headed and ask God to help you respond to the situation that angers you in a way that will honor Jesus. Unchecked anger only brings about our shame and not God's Glory. Stay focused you can do this.

In His JOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment