Sunday, March 24, 2013

"Behind the music"


Ephesians 4:17-32

(I want to preface this by saying "I LOVE MUSIC!!!!" always have and always will. And I am not judging anyone but I am comparing what I am listening to the Word of God )

There are songs that I know that are decades older than me. I have listened to almost every genre of music on planet Earth. But one day I had to really think of what I was listening to. I heard the arguments about the Illuminati in the music industry, The all-seeing eye symbols in the media, and artist wearing the Goat of Mendes on their clothing. Theses arguments and this evidence offers a lot of persuasive reasoning to stop listening to music that does not promote Jesus. Because it does not glorify the Lord but the beat and flow was "sick son!!!"

However there are many Christian Artist who do not have all the things mentioned above in their music but they are just as corrupt. Some are in it for personal gain and their songs show their lack of spiritual maturity. Their personal lifestyles are contrary to what they were singing/rapping about. But the label of Christian kept me coming back.

So I had to learn to compare the music to the Word of God. If we read Ephesians 4:17-32 it is a good chopping block for music. For instance, is the music I am listening to promote my sinful past or my new life in Christ Jesus (4:17-18)? Are the Lyrics to my favorite song encouraging me to give in to my sensuality and sinful indulgence or does it motivate me to surrender to Christ (4:19-20)? By the end of the song does my soul feel renewed in Christ or does it feel life I have taken a step back in my spiritual walk (4:21-24) ? Does the song invoke me to act out in anger and sin, lie, and/or did it just give the devil a spot in my heart to spread his lies (4:25-27) ? If I took these lyrics and spoke them to my child, brother, cousin, friend, etc. would they feel built up or torn down and violated (4:29) ? But most importantly would the song itself grieve God's Precious Spirit (4:30) ?

Friends I urge us all to consider what we are listening to and watching. And to take it seriously because you speak what you hear and you act what you see. Stay focused, you can do this!

"In His JOY!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment